Wednesday, August 12, 2009

ICT Session 2

In today's lesson, we were shown a video on the Environmental and Spatial Technology initiative(EAST) in Arkansas. I totally enjoyed what was introduced to the students as they were given the freedom to carry out their own ideas and projects. I believe that by doing this, a very interesting and non- restrictive learning environment is created for the students.

Seeing the students taking pride in their projects simply is truly encouraging. The success of their projects is important, but so are the soft skills that the students have developed: their communication skills, skills of interaction, their heightened confidence, the importance of teamwork, independence and a passion for learning.

Would be nice if I can incorporate this style of learning in school next time. However, support must be given by the school and my fellow colleagues. This will be a revoluntionary change from the "spoon-feeding" style that most schools practise nowadays.

The indicators listed in Chapter 3 of the textbook really gives me an insight on how self-directed students learn and how,as a teacher, I can help to strengthen thier potential.With the introduction to the ICT tools available, I feel that I can better understand how and what I can do to help these students. I believe the use of system mapping, pbwiki and concept maps can help my students in their learning of Chinese Literature.

The video on the "collaborative learning Ice Moon Project" was also very interesting. I am sure all the students will have a great sense of satisfaction at the end of the exercise. If the school provides the support and if the students are very willing to participate, I would like to create a collaborative learning exercise which I believe the students have much to benefit from.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment