Thursday, August 27, 2009

Planning for Effective Lessons

Chapter 6 of the ICT textbook identifies the different roles of a teacher: a presenter, a facilitator and a designer.

I feel that setting goals for a lessons is the most important step. As mentioned in the textbook, "without them, teaching may become disorganised and consequently learning becomes haphazard."

The eight main steps approach to instructional planning are:

1. Identifying instructional goals (the most important step)
2. Analysing learners/students (their general ability levels, learning styles, prerequisite knowledge and skills, ICT skills, and attitudes towards learning the subject)
3. Identifying the objectives (A-Audience, B-Behaviours of the learner, C-Conditions needed or used, D-Degree of acceptable performance)
4.Planning of instructional activities (introduction, development and conclusion + motivating the students)
5. Choosing of instructional media (non-projected and projected media) (based on the appropriateness, suitability, visual design and practicality)
6. Developing of assessment tools
7. Implementing of instruction
8. Revising of instruction ( feedback is important)

As a new teacher, I feel that carrying out the above is a rather difficult task as I am new to all the important things that have to be looked out for. However, I believe that as more practices are done and more information about the students are known, the above 8 steps will come naturally and will be modified accurately for the different target audience with ease.

There is a checklist at the end of the chapter which I feel is beneficial for planning an instruction. There are a lot of things to be learnt and I am sure as I fully enter the profession, I will be able to learn them with ease and to use them to effectively carry out my lessons :)

2 comments:

  1. A very detailed description of steps on lesson planning. Which steps do you anticipate to be difficult? Why? Have you used some of these steps in your lesson planning before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that steps 1,2 and 4 are the more difficult steps. However, when they are successfully planned out, the whole lesson planning becomes very smooth and easy to manage. In my previous lesson planning, I have used steps 1,4,5 and 7. I must remind myself to use all of the 8 steps when planning my lessons next time :)

    ReplyDelete